Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What do you think about color coded email messages based on their stress potential?

Here is an interesting audio recording (5min). At first I thought it was just funny because I get many emails every day and many of the important ones might have a higher stress level. So I could already see my inbox being red to a large extend. That would for sure increase my stress level.  But when I listened to the whole recording I learned that they have some very interesting points regarding communication automation towards the end. That is partly fascinating and scary. There are so many tasks that get automated and it is mostly good. In this case I'm not so sure it's good because someone has to write the applications to show you what to think (e.g. in this case to see a message has a high stress potential). By using the apps don't you allow the app provider to influence and guide your thinking, to think for you?  Why would you trust the app provider (which you most likely don't even know personally) to tell you what to think?