Saturday, May 29, 2010

Passion and Project Management

Why do you do what you do? Are you in Project Management because that's what you want to do or is it because it seems like a good career step for what you really want to do next? I'm referring to Software Project Management but it could be any kind of Project Management. I think you can only be really good at something you passionately care about. Many people will see and reward honest passion because they will "feel" that you care. This is about the project and the people in the project, not about you.
I am very interested in people and technique and honestly enjoy working in an environment where I can work with people while I learn something new about the techniques used. These interests allow me to not consider everything I do, to get better at Project Management, as work. It's fun, I enjoy learning and enjoy seeing it work.

Without this personal interest I might lack the energy to continuously learn something new and to adjust to changing environments. To ensure the team and you succeed with your project you will always have to find new solutions or adopt already proven solutions. I see this after doing Projects for 17 years. To keep this interesting and to excel at what you do you need passion.
If you honestly consider Project Management your passion then I'm sure you will succeed. But whatever you passion is don't waste it on something you don't enjoy.