Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Multi-tasking does NOT work

Just type "Multitasking studies" into Google and you will find that there are many studies over the years that confirm it doesn't work. So why do you still try to do it? Because only really intelligent and capable people can do it? I don't think so. I think, based on my own experience, that multitasking makes you less productive. Instead of trying to type an email while I'm in a meeting and at the same time I'm also working on an Excel Spreadsheet I prefer to do these tasks sequentially. The reason is I can't focus on the meeting, email and spreadsheet at the same time. I get so distracted that I don't do anything well because it's hard to decide which task to focus on. What works better is to effectively schedule your time so that you can jump from topic to topic. Do the meeting first, then the email and then the Excel Spreadsheet. It will actually save you time. Also don't take on more than you can handle. Most Management personnel I've worked with over the years will go along with this approach as long as you can communicate your challenges well. When you work on your next tasks schedule your time effectively and categorize your tasks instead.

Task Categories
  • Dump it --> task is not urgent and not important
  • Delegate it --> task might be urgent or important but you are not the best person to address this
  • Defer it --> task is not urgent but might be important. You need more time to analyze this
  • Do it --> task is urgent and important