Saturday, September 4, 2010

Personal Goals

In order to achieve any goal you have to know where you want to go and you need a plan on how you want to get there. This is nothing new to a Project Manager but do you do it in your personal life as well? It requires considerable self discipline to approach your own life like a project. The reward for this effort is that it makes you more conscious of your own goals. You are forcing yourself to clarify what is and what is not important to you. Once you spend some time to come up with an honest answer you can more effectively spend time on the things that matter most to you. The challenging part is then to adjust your life according to your priorities.
When I note in my weekly plan that I want to help my kids at least 3 times with their homework it helps me to follow through on it.  Through this planning my life becomes more productive. I spend more time on the things that matter (e.g. my kids education) instead of giving in to distractions (e.g. surfing the web). Whatever your goal is, it can be achieved if you really want it but it won't happen without your help. How do you keep track of your personal goals?