Saturday, October 2, 2010

Not everyone needs to agree!

I know that this might sound provocative to some of you but it is still true. If you want to get anything done you can't try to please everyone. Let me explain why I say that. First of all I'm not suggesting any kind of top-down decision structure at all (after all I'm with HP) but instead I ask you to stop hiding behind others as an excuse to not making a decision.
For example I'm in many meetings where we have stakeholders from multiple teams and not everyone can agree to a common approach to an issue. Every Team has their own valid and sometimes invalid reasons why they want or don't want to do something. If we wait until every Person, Team or Region (e.g. Americas, Europe, Asia) had a chance to follow up with everyone that might have some interest in the outcome of this decision we will drag down enthusiasm, accountability and the general agility of our organization. This price is too high from my point of view. If you've done your homework and you're clear about your priorities then you can make a faster decision even if you encounter opposition. In some cases it will be the wrong decision and that is OK because it is a learning experience that will ensure that the next decision is better. Inaction as a consequence of Indecisiveness is not an option. Gather all the information and input you can get in a "fixed amount of time" and decide with the Key Stakeholders what to do next. Don't look for everyone's approval.