Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tips, Tips and more Tips

I love to read business books (e.g. High Tech, Sales techniques, Time Management, Self Improvement etc) since I always look for ways how I can improve. On average I probably read 1-2 business books a month. Since I'm chronically short on time I want to make sure when I read a business book it is worth the time and money. This is not always easy because many books claim to provide something new and unexpected but most books really don't deliver on that promise.
When I read a book these days that is recommending that companies should allow employee's to dedicate 20% of their time to any improvement project (like Google) I really start to yawn. Even though it is a worthwhile idea it is not new. Right now many business books focus on "value" and even though some are really good (e.g. Bury my heart at conference room b from Stan Slap) many just seem stale. I know that Nordstrom, South West Airlines, Google and a handful of companies are always named as great examples. The really interesting books are the ones that make you think, some that have something useful and unexpected. Check out the business book authors in Podcasts and on blogs before you buy any book to make sure they have something to say that is worth your time and money!