Friday, December 17, 2010

Communication Inferno?

It seems sometimes that everyone wants to be hip and sage by using Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Podcasts, your own blog or website and thousand other social media tools. This is fine but can require a considerable amount of time. Is that time well spent for you?
Then we have all the cool gadgets where we can use these social media tools like smartphones, tablets, mp3 players, laptops, game consoles and many other gadgets. It feels good to use these tools because we feel hip. We're "in" because we have these cool gadgets.
In Summary, we have a lot of opportunity to use these cool tools on the cool gadgets and potentially waste a lot of time. I have a job and a family and can't spend all my time on these tools, so how do I stay up-to-date?
I prioritze what is important to me and set a reasonable time (approx. 30-45min) per day for these tools. Some  blogs, PodCasts, Linkedin Groups etc. are great and I want to enjoy them on a regular basis BUT I don't want to be held hostage by them through 24/7/365 pressure.
I do all these things to learn, to stay up to date with what is happening and I want to actively participate and drive these discussions.  In the end all the social media tools are "tools" that are supposed to help us achieve a task. If they become a task all by themselves then something has gone haywire.
What do you use social media tools for and how is that working for you?